Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Reason for the Challenge

I've been slightly in awe of the daily painting movement, and have wanted to try it for a while now. I've decided it's time to jump in.

The plan is, in addition to my larger studio work, to post one small painting a day, for a year. I get weekends off. There may be days when I paint two, just so I have a few in reserve in case of travel or sick days.

The reasoning for this challenge is pretty simple - I want to grow as a painter. I want to experiment with colors I don't normally use, try different brushes and techniques, get back to basics and practice my values, edges, and brush work. Strengthen my foundation, so to speak.

I'm ready to become more focused and disciplined. Posting daily to this blog will get me back in the habit of blogging regularly, and will keep me accountable. I really feel that this challenge will be good for me.

And last but not least, this is a practice in vulnerability, which (thanks to Brene' Brown) I've recently learned is a strength, not a weakness. I may do a bad painting some days. I'm human. As someone who struggles with perfectionism, I'm ready to be open to letting the world see that. We're all learning, growing, and doing the best we can.

I look forward to this project, and I hope you enjoy following along.

And now, I present to you painting #1.


Chicken Timer, 6x6 inch oil on panel
© 2012 Kathleen Coy
SOLD

I like the hard and soft edges, and the blue background reflected in the chicken. I learned that smooth, shiny, man-made objects are definitely a challenge to paint!

5 comments:

  1. You rock!! :) I would love to do something like this. Can't wait to see what you post for us hon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Julia! xx
    Hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll do great Kat...look forward to seeing what you come up with!! Hugs to Cloud too ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gtyyup, I appreciate it! So does Cloud. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok! I start following your journey from here! Day is was awesome!

    ReplyDelete