Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 74


Dreams of Hoarfrost, 5 x 7 inch oil on panel
© 2012 Kathleen Coy
100.00

The midwest is in the grip of a pretty brutal heatwave right now. It made me really want to paint a winter scene. We get a lot of hoarfrost in Iowa in the winters, and to drive around the countryside and see the trees and fields covered in frost is one of the most beautiful sights a person could want. If you don't get hoarfrost where you live, do a google image search and you will see what I mean.

I took the reference photo for this painting not far from home last winter on a grey, misty day when the sky and the land were almost the same color. Even though the roads were getting icy, it was too beautiful to be inside. I look at this painting, and it takes me back to that feeling of wonder, and despite the oppressive heat we're experiencing now, winter is coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment