Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 145


Marsh Study, 6 x 6 inch oil on panel
© 2012 Kathleen Coy

One of the things I fell in love with in South Carolina were the marshes. The marsh grasses reminded me of vast prairies intersected with water, and were truly a feast for the eyes. Most of the land here in Iowa is vast mono-crops of corn and soybeans, and the prairies that used to be here are few and far between. 

With this study, I was trying to get the feel of the colors of the grasses, and the way the evening light was hitting the water. This is Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge, near Hilton Head Island.

3 comments:

  1. I really love your work and so much fun to see the second Hilton Head Gang in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you so much! I'm honored to be part of the HHG!

      Delete
  2. Yummy...love the colors, the structure and the depth you achieved

    ReplyDelete