Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 165


Boomer knife study, 6 x 6 inch oil on canvas
© 2012 Kathleen Coy

Day 3 of teaching myself how to paint with a palette knife, and I wanted to try something a little more ambitious than an apple or cup. This is my 19 year old cat Boomer, the original grumpy cat. As in the previous knife studies, I learned a great deal with this painting, and I'm really enjoying working with the knife. My goal is to get as comfortable with a knife as I am with the brushes, and while I'm not there yet, I'm closer than I was yesterday. My favorite part of this painting are the stripes on top of her head.

Here are a few in progress shots. This, as with the other two knife paintings, were started without a preliminary drawing on the canvas (a step I rarely skip. I'm not sure why I didn't start with a drawing, but I'll admit, I like the freshness of the results.) This was painted on a piece of canvas taped to a board.



1 comment: