Monday, March 25, 2013

Day 235


Little People Study, 6 x 6 inch oil on panel
© 2013 Kathleen Coy

I wanted to try painting some larger LP figures (relative to the canvas) than what I've done before, just to see how it looked. I prefer them smaller - there's a tension with the figures being this large that I find uncomfortable, so I'll probably paint this one again later with the figures taking up less space, because I do like the concept and want to play with it some more. There are things I like about this piece though - mainly the edges and the "plastic-y" look of the woman's hair. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your text about this piece. I wonder whether it is the size of the figures or the dominant darkness and scowl of the plastic man glaring at his plastic yellow-haired little wife that makes this painting uncomfortable. It is a great piece because it does create an emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Sue. Isn't it fascinating how these things affect the mood of a painting?

    ReplyDelete