Friday, September 7, 2012

Day 103


Grace, 5 x 7 inch oil on panel
© 2012 Kathleen Coy

Karin Jurick had a recent blog post about a site that hosts free photos that artists can use for figure drawing and painting practice. I always have quite a bit of skin tones left over after my weekly live figure painting session, and I wanted to find a way to put it to good use for the next day. Last time I checked, oil paint doesn't grow on trees (especially Old Holland.) This site is perfect for me!

So I painted this from one of their photos, and I can't tell you how much fun it was! This is what I would love for my live session figure paintings to look like, but that's a huge stretch - there's only so much you can do in 40 minutes, so they are considered to be oil "sketches." Working without a time limit on this one, I spent about a half hour drawing and then a good 3 hours with the paint... it felt wonderful to be able to take my time with a figure painting!!

Here is the site I got the photo from, if any artists want to do some figure practice: http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php



No comments:

Post a Comment