Friday, September 28, 2012

Day 118


Ram Pride, 6 x 6 inch oil on canvas
© 2012 Kathleen Coy

My friend Deb Groesser asked if I wanted to make a painting for a mosaic project for her city's 100 year anniversary. Four hundred 6 x 6 paintings are being painted by anyone who wants to take part, and will be raffled off as a fundraiser. Since I was already used to working in that size, and since it sounded like a fun project, I said "sure!" 

At first I was stumped as to what to paint, since it had to relate to the city of Ralston, Nebraska, which I really didn't know much about the history, or anything too specific. Then the idea hit me to look up the school mascot, hoping it would be something cool. And it was!! I'm so happy they're the Ralston Rams, rather than something like the Ralston Fighting Zephyrs. A ram, I can paint. A zephyr? Forget about it! (The only thing cooler is if they would have been the Ralston Raptors...)

I had a few photos of some rams I took at the Royal Gorge in Colorado several years ago to work from. I sort of winged the background, and I think it turned out pretty cool. More information about the Ralston Mosaic Project can be found here, and here is a nice article in the Omaha paper about the project.



4 comments:

  1. this is strong and fabulous, Kathleen...and I like the sound of the project. You kind of painted it in a bit of a mosaic manner too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! It seems so bold and just well, strong as Julie put it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, you two! I was trying to impart a sense of the ram's strength with the paint, and I'm glad it came through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous! Of course, I'm a fool for a red underpainting with a bit of turquoise thrown in.

    ReplyDelete